To be eligible for a fully-funded studentship, you must meet the below academic and residence criteria.
A fully-funded four year SWBio DTP studentship will cover:
- a stipend* (at the standard Research Councils UK rate; £14,553 per annum for 2017-2018)
- research and training costs
- tuition fees (at the standard Research Councils UK rate)
- additional funds to support fieldwork, conferences and a 3-month internship
* An enhanced stipend is available for students with a recognised veterinary degree qualification (£22,456 per annum for 2017-2018). There may also be enhanced stipends associated with projects that have a collaborating CASE partner (CASE projects are highlighted with an asterisk * in the project lists).
Applicants for a studentship must have obtained, or be about to obtain, a First or Upper Second Class UK Honours degree, or the equivalent qualifications gained outside the UK, in an appropriate area of science or technology. Applicants with a Lower Second Class degree will be considered if they also have a Master’s degree or have significant relevant non-academic experience.
In addition, due to the strong mathematical component of the taught course in the first year and the quantitative emphasis in our projects, a minimum of a grade B in A-level Maths or an equivalent qualification or experience is required.
- Physics A-level (grade B and above)
- Undertaking units as part of your degree that have a significant mathematical component*
*Significant mathematical component examples include; maths, statistics, bioinformatics.
Applicants need to ensure they highlight their Maths background within their application form and to upload any supporting evidence.
Please refer to the the ‘Studentship eligibility’ section in the RCUK Terms and conditions of training grants to confirm that you meet the residence criteria for a fully-funded studentship.
Applicants from EU countries who do not meet the residency requirements may still be eligible for a fees-only award.
The four universities have a very limited number of fully-funded four year studentships for EU students who do not meet the residency requirements. Please contact the relevant institution for more information.
We also accept external-funded (including self-funded) applicants as part of our programme.