Note: Projects can still be applied to by external-funded (included self-funded) applicants up until 1st June 2020. Further information and how to apply >>
Submitting your application
Please find below details on how to apply to each of the SWBio DTP institutions. Please apply to the institution listed as the host institution for the PhD project you are interested in.
Equality, Diversity and Inclusion Statement
We want to support diverse and inclusive work environments. We therefore welcome applications from individuals regardless of their race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, religion, age, gender, or disability status. We welcome applications from individuals who have previously studied at any recognised Higher Education Institute and from a range of career paths (please refer to the SWBio DTP academic criteria for eligibility), including individuals who have previously trained in the sciences and are wanting to return to scientific research.
We particularly encourage applications from BAME* and mature (this is classed as 30+ years) individuals as these backgrounds are currently underrepresented within our student cohort. *Black, Asian and minority ethnic.
- When completing the online application form, please identify your application as being for the SWBio DTP call in Section 3 Finance (question 2).
- Should you wish to apply for more than one project at Bath, you may do so without submitting a separate application but you should state all the projects for which you would like to be considered in the ‘Your research interests’ section of the application form and you should upload a separate statement for each one, outlining your motivation, achievements and suitability for that particular project.
- Further information on the application procedure >>
- As part of your application, you need to choose: Faculty of Life Sciences under the 'Faculty' section, and South West Biosciences Doctoral Training Partnership (PhD) under the 'programme choice' section. Additionally under the 'Research Details' section, please indicate that you are applying for a SWBio DTP funded project and give the project title and names of supervisors.
- If you apply to multiple projects at the University of Bristol, please enter a new application for each project. For each new application you will need to change your username but you can maintain the same e-mail address and password.
- Type BBSRC in the Keywords section for list of projects (how to apply details can be found within these individual projects).
- When completing your application, please list Doctor of Philosophy as the 'qualification' and 1 October 2020 as the 'start date'.
- You will need to include the project you are applying to and the main supervisor as part of the application.
- For funded studentships: When asked if you are intending to self-fund, please select No and within the text box list BBSRC South Bioscience DTP
- You will need to submit a separate application for each project you wish to be considered for.
- Guidance on how to complete your application >>
As part of your application you will be required to submit:
- Two references
- Academic transcripts / degree certificate(s)
- Personal statement. Please include supporting evidence for your Maths background.
- Curriculum Vitae (CV)
- English language certificates (where applicable)