The SWBio DTP receive six Research Experience Placements (REPs) per year from the BBSRC. These are summer research placements for undergraduates, designed to give students a first-hand opportunity to gain greater experience of research in the biosciences and an awareness of research careers.
- The duration of a REP is up to 10 weeks during the summer vacation.
- Successful students will receive a stipend (minimum of £200 per week).
- Students need to be eligible to apply (refer below).
- There are no additional funds available to support travel and accommodation costs whilst undertaking the REP.
To be eligible for a REP, undergraduate students need to be:
- In the middle years of their first degree studies
- Registered for a basic science (including mathematics and engineering) or veterinary degree at a UK university
- Expected to obtain a first or upper second class UK honours degree
- Eligible for a BBSRC PhD studentship (full award or fees-only), should they apply (BBSRC Guide to Student Eligibility >>)
Details of the number of REPs available and how to apply can be found under the institution headings. Projects for REPs taking place in Summer 2018 will be advertised April / May 2018.
University of Bath
University of Bristol
University of Exeter
Following completion of your REP, you will be expected to complete a brief report about the REP for the BBSRC within 3 months of completion of the placement.
If you have any queries about this scheme, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. However, queries about projects available at the institutions and how to apply to these, will need to be directed to the relevant institution.
Note: your application may be submitted to the SWBio DTP Administrative Hub for eligibility checks.