The SWBio DTP receive six Research Experience Placements (REPs) per year from the BBSRC. These are summer research placements for undergraduates, designed to give students a first-hand opportunity to gain greater experience of research in the biosciences and an awareness of research careers.
- The duration of a REP is up to 10 weeks during the summer vacation.
- Students need to be eligible to apply (refer below).
- You will be paid at least the minimum national living wage for the duration of the REP.
- There are no additional funds available to support travel and accommodation costs whilst undertaking the REP.
To be eligible for a REP, undergraduate students need to be:
- In the middle years of their first degree studies
- Registered for a basic science (including mathematics and engineering) or veterinary degree at a UK university
- Expected to obtain a first or upper second class UK honours degree
- Eligible for a BBSRC PhD studentship (full award or fees-only), should they apply. Please refer to the RCUK ‘Training Grant Guide’, page 17 >>
Applications for REPs taking place in Summer 2019 are now closed. Projects available for Summer 2020 will be listed in April/May 2020.
Details of the number of REPs available and where to send your application form and CV can be found under the institution headings. For project enquiries, please contact the supervisor whose contact details are listed within the project advert.
Note: your application may be submitted to the SWBio DTP Administrative Hub (University of Bristol) for eligibility checks.
Following completion of your REP, you will be expected to complete a brief report about the REP for the BBSRC within 3 months of completion of the placement.
If you have any queries about this scheme, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org. However, queries about projects available at the institutions and how to apply to these, will need to be directed to the relevant institution.