The SWBio DTP receive six Research Experience Placements (REPs) per year from the BBSRC. These are summer research placements for undergraduates, designed to give students a first-hand opportunity to gain greater experience of research in the biosciences and an awareness of research careers.
- The duration of a REP is up to 10 weeks during the summer vacation.
- Successful students will receive a stipend (minimum of £200 per week).
- Students need to be eligible to apply (refer below).
- There are no additional funds available to support travel and accommodation costs whilst undertaking the REP.
To be eligible for a REP, undergraduate students need to be:
- In the middle years of their first degree studies
- Registered for a basic science (including mathematics and engineering) or veterinary degree at a UK university
- Expected to obtain a first or upper second class UK honours degree
- Eligible for a BBSRC PhD studentship (full award or fees-only), should they apply. Please refer to the RCUK ‘Training Grant Guide’, page 17 >>
Applications for REPs taking place in Summer 2018 are now closed. Projects for Summer 2019 will be advertised in April/May 2019.
Details of the number of REPs available and where to send your application and CV can be found under the institution headings. For project enquiries, please contact the supervisor who is highlighted.
University of Bath
University of Bristol
University of Exeter
Following completion of your REP, you will be expected to complete a brief report about the REP for the BBSRC within 3 months of completion of the placement.
If you have any queries about this scheme, please contact us at email@example.com. However, queries about projects available at the institutions and how to apply to these, will need to be directed to the relevant institution.
Note: your application may be submitted to the SWBio DTP Administrative Hub (University of Bristol) for eligibility checks.